Fourth Friday at 7pm Central Time
Registration is now open for:
- June 25th In-Depth Session:
- Developing a Healthy Ringing Gesture, led by Michèle Sharik
- Pedagogical Music with Kath Wissinger
- July 23rd Sampler Session: TBA
Michèle Sharik is the Handbell Techniques Master Teacher for the HMA Certification Program. In this session, she’ll lead you to a healthy, relaxed ringing gesture. In the 2nd part of the session, Kath Wissinger will review music for teaching handbells. Sampler sessions are free, In-Depth Sessions are $10/person for members.
The topics for the January Sampler Session were:
- Technique Tip – Malleting
- Top Sellers from Choristers Guild
- Director Tip – Solving that Problem Measure
- How to Reach Out to Other Ringers & Directors
- What’s Honorary Life? Who are the Honorary Life members of A8?
- Instant Success – Using Processionals to Hook New Ringers
- Preview of the February 26th In-Depth Seminar, Mark Your Music
Our February seminar was Mark Your Music, led by Beth Ann Edwards.
Do you spend more time interpreting your markings than reading the music? Yes, you marked your score last week. It made sense at that time, and now it doesn’t. Or maybe you switched assignments and cannot interpret the markings in your new score. Or maybe you assume you will remember what the director is asking for and not mark your score at all. A well-marked score assists your music-making. This class walks you through setting up a concise, consistent score-marking system for handbell music. Learn about basic needs for score-marking, and customize them for you and your choir. This method will assist ringers in music interpretation, preparation, solid music-reading, and more.
The topics for the March Sampler Session were:
- Using Acapella to create a virtual ensemble video
- What’s the Area 8 Chime Loan Program?
- Music from Agape/Hope Publishing introduced by Brenda Austin (pt 1)
- Bell Trees for Beginners
- Professor Bell and Clapper on thumb damping and ring touch
Music from Agape/Hope Publishing introduced by Brenda Austin (pt 2)
- Preview of April In-Depth Session: Solo & Ensemble Skills for These Times
- What Happens at National Seminar? Observations from Seminar first timers
The April seminar offered looks at 4-in-hand, weaving, and working with selections for 6, 8, or 12 bells. Past-chair Beth Ann Edwards presented the 4-in-hand session, and Kristin Paul Diaz, a founding member of The Agape Ringers, will have you weaving in no time! finally, you’ll see examples of how to utilize those skills for your ensemble.
The topics for the May Sampler Session were:
- Prof Bell & Clapper: Swings and Shakes
- Former Area 8 Chair (and current Interim National Director) Ed Rollins talks about serving in leadership
- Choraegus (Larry & Carla Sue) Music Review Part 1
- Ron Mallory on Arranging Pop Tunes for Handbells
- Choraegus (Larry & Carla Sue) Music Review Part 2
- Area 8 2022 Festival Promo
- Two selections from River City Ringers Spring 2021 Concert “Impressions in Color”