Festival Seminars & Bonus Rehearsal
Thursday, June 23, 2022
Do you need a refresher course for directing and worship-planning? Plan to arrive in Kansas City a day before the opening bell and immerse yourself in one or two seminars that will teach you new tricks, affirm your vocational path, and introduce you to peers who just might become your new best friends! The Area 8 Festival Committee has scheduled Worship and Directors Seminars for Thursday, June 23, 2022, and participants can attend both. The cost is $80 per seminar, or $150 for both.
Worship Seminar: Led by Nancy Youngman, Chris Peck, and Beth Ann Edwards
Thursday, June 23, 8:30 am – 2 pm (Lunch break included, lunch on your own)
This seminar is designed for handbell directors and ringers who are looking for information, techniques, and resources specific to handbells in worship. The following topics will be covered:
- Beyond the anthem: handbells in worship
- Writing and arranging simple accompaniments for liturgies and hymns
- Taking care of yourself – balancing work with personal faith development
- Handbell programs for youth
- Working with any number of ringers
- Recruiting and incorporating new members into an existing choir
Directors Seminar: Led by John Behnke and Alex Guebert
Thursday, June 23, 2:15-9:30pm (Dinner break included, dinner on your own)
Spend time with two experts who will guide participants through basics and nuances of directing. Seminar topics include the following.
- What I Wish Someone Would Have Told Me 40 Years Ago About Handbells (John)
- Pulses and natural accents (Alex)
- Making techniques more effective (John)
- Musical phrasing: Making beautiful music (Alex)
- Musicianship: Playing together as an ensemble (John)
- Cueing and shaping the melody with the left hand (Alex)
Bonus “Warm-Up” Rehearsal
An extra, pre-Festival rehearsal will be offered on Thursday, June 23, 2022, from 7:00 – 9:30 pm. Festival music for massed ringing and both ringing tracks will be reviewed. This rehearsal will be led by Area 8 board members and costs $15.
Who should sign up for this rehearsal?
- Ringers who would like just one more rehearsal before the opening bell on Friday morning.
- Ringers who have rehearsed alone or with a small group and would like to have a pre-festival experience of rehearsing with a full choir.
- Ringers who want to spend a bit more time behind the table.
- Ringers who would like to spend a little extra time with “their people!”