Thursday, June 18, 2020
Do you need a refresher course for directing and worship-planning? Plan to arrive in Overland Park a day before the opening bell, and immerse yourself in one or two seminars that will teach you new tricks, affirm your vocational path, and introduce you to peers who just might become your new best friends! The Area 8 Festival Committee has scheduled a Worship Seminar and Directors Seminar for Thursday, June 18, 2020, and participants can attend both. The cost is $80 per seminar, or $150 for both. Registration will take place after January 1 registration begins.
Led by Lauran Delancy, Beth Ann Edwards, and Gwen Gepford
Thursday, June 18, 8:30 am – 2 pm (Lunch break included, lunch on your own)
This seminar is designed for handbell directors and ringers who are looking for information, techniques, and resources specific to handbells in worship. The following topics will be covered.
- Beyond the Anthem: handbells in worship
- Writing and arranging simple accompaniments for liturgies and hymns
- Taking care of yourself – balancing work with personal faith development
- Handbell programs for youth
- Working with any number of ringers
- Recruiting and incorporating new members into an existing choir
Led by John Behnke and Alex Guebert
Thursday, June 18, 2:15 – 5:45 and 7:00 – 9:30 (dinner on your own)
Spend time with two experts who will guide participants through basics and nuances of directing. Alex and John are sharing clinician roles on Friday and Saturday. Check out their bios in the September Quavers. Seminar topics include the following.
- Effective warmups
- Making techniques more effective
- Pulses and natural accents
- Playing together as an ensemble
- Cueing and shaping the melody with the left hand