Gather with handbell musicians to chat, learn, and ring at 7 p.m. on the fourth Friday night of the month in a virtual format alternating between Sampler Nights and In-Depth Seminars. Sampler Nights are based on speed dating and these 90-minute sessions will offer short introductions to a variety of topics. Sampler Nights are free. In-Depth Seminars Focus on one handbell topic for a one-hour session, and there is a small fee.
Registration is now open for:
- Feburary 26th In-Depth Session Mark Your Music with Beth Ann Edwards
- March 26th Sampler Session
You can still get the link for the January 22nd Sampler Session by registering below.
Sampler sessions are free, In-Depth Sessions are $10/person for members.
TECHNOLOGY: Sessions are pre-recorded are available on YouTube, which you can access from a smart TV, computer, tablet or phone. You’ll be able to use the chat feature on YouTube during the premiere. In addition, there will be an optional virtual meeting after the presentation where you can interact with other registrants .
Links will be sent out 2-3 days prior to the session to the email address you provide at registration.
Our February seminar is Mark Your Music, led by Beth Ann Edwards.
Do you spend more time interpreting your markings than reading the music? Yes, you marked your score last week. It made sense at that time, and now it doesn’t. Or maybe you switched assignments and cannot interpret the markings in your new score. Or maybe you assume you will remember what the director is asking for and not mark your score at all. A well-marked score assists your music-making. This class walks you through setting up a concise, consistent score-marking system for handbell music. Learn about basic needs for score-marking, and customize them for you and your choir. This method will assist ringers in music interpretation, preparation, solid music-reading, and more.
Topics for the March Sampler Session are being finalized, but likely candidates are:
- Professor Bell and Clapper on thumb damping and ring touch
- What’s the Area 8 Chime Loan Program
- Bell Trees for Beginners
- Past Area 8 Chairs Share
- Using Acapella to create a virtual ensemble video
- What Happens at National Seminar? Observations from Seminar first-timers
The topics for the January Sampler Session were:
- Technique Tip – Malleting
- Top Sellers from Choristers Guild
- Director Tip – Solving that Problem Measure
- How to Reach Out to Other Ringers & Directors
- What’s Honorary Life? Who are the Honorary Life members of A8?
- Instant Success – Using Processionals to Hook New Ringers
- Preview of the February 26th In-Depth Seminar, Mark Your Music